Tara (ravenclawed) wrote,

Sucky weekend.

Friday after 4 PM, a major windstorm (no officials have said tornado, but the damage speaks for itself) came through. Power went off in my office around 4:20. Spent about an hour in the backroom with a lot of coworkers in semi-darkness. Leadership finally let us go home at 5:15 PM. Got home and looked at the dustbuster -- the charging light was off, so I knew the power was off. Spent the next three hours hoping the power would come back on. Finally called Dad. He collected me and the stuff I thought I'd need over the weekend.

Called my apartment at 2 PM on Saturday to see if power was on. Call did not connect, since it's a cordless phone. Called again after 6 PM and the call went through. Went home and found, to my delight, that none of my food, including my half-full jug of milk, hadn't spoiled. Yay!

Found out that the dial-up Internet access I can get at work is too damn slow -- pages are only half-loading, and no pics. Boo! This means I need a new computer STAT.

10 PM Sunday night, my boss calls me and says that the office has power, but the network isn't working, so the office is currently closed. She gave me an 800 number to call in the morning to check the status. Called the number at 7 AM Monday and was told by recorded voice that office is closed but to check back again an hour before my shift started. Called again just before 8 AM and was told the office is open.

So I went to work only to find that the office was indeed open, but the network was still down. Why they opened the office is beyond me. My coworkers and I (those that checked the status again later in the morning) spent the morning and the first part of the afternoon just waiting. There was a mini film festival going on in the conference room (Cloverfield, I Am Legend, and Dan in Real Life), but I wasn't interested. At my lunch break, I got my radio from home so at least we'd have something to listen to. Finally, at 2 PM, the network was back up.

Today, as soon as I walked in, I was hit with a horrid rotten egg smell. Leadership called the ventilation people, but apparently they couldn't be bothered to come over. The most logical theory we've got going is that someone stuck a stink bomb in the ventilation.
  • Post a new comment


    default userpic
    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.