Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

My day started out normally. Got up at 8 AM then had breakfast before going to Baker's. (Past experience has taught me not to go food shopping on an empty stomach.) A loaf of French bread, a package Pepperidge Farm Sausolito cookies, and a Plan B dinner later, I was back at the apartment and ready to clean.

Everything went fine until I went to close the hall-side folding doors of my main closet. I accidentally caught the pad of my right ring finger in the seam of the door when it closed. One swear word later, I had a line of tiny broken blood vessels, then a minute later, I had a bruise covering most of the tip of my finger.

Things only improved slightly after that. I couldn't find any dust rags, so I couldn't dust the living room furniture (which definitely needs it, and I'll get rags this weekend). Then I tried to iron the new tablecloth and napkins, but I had some problems with my new iron, so that didn't get done either. I set the table and the linens didn't look bad, you just could tell where they'd been folded.

A few hours before my parents were supposed to come over, I realized I forgot to get lemonade mix at Baker's and while I did have a loaf of bread, I lacked a bread knife. It was too hot to walk back to Baker's (I'm not even sure they sell bread knives in their little kitchen section), so I decided to call Mom & Dad and see if they could bring some. About an hour before they were supposed to arrive, I called them a few times but the phone was busy. I finally got through to them just before they were to leave. Dad said he was already bringing over drink mix and he'd bring along a bread knife too.

So Mom and Dad came. Mom said the table looked nice. Then she settled down with HGTV and Dad tried fiddling with my Internet connection again. The amazing thing is that he may have actually gotten it to work. I'll try it again tonight.

I started on dinner. It was this seafood (shrimp, scallops, and krab), veggies, and noddles in sauce combo that could be cooked on a skillet or in the microwave. I don't have a microwave-safe dish big enough (I'll solve that problem the next time I go to Wal-Mart), so I used the larger of my two skillets. I didn't realize until I had already cooked the seafood and had put the veggies and noddles in the skillet that my skillet was way too small. I put some of it into my little skillet, but still had to toss a good third of the stuff. Yeah, I should've saved the excess somehow, but I panicked, so into the garbage it went.

Still, Mom and Dad said it came out okay. I thought so too. They also liked the bread (who knew organic French bread could taste so much like sourdough?) and the cookies for dessert (chocolate chunks and macadamia nuts rule!). Some more HGTV shows and a new episode of MonsterQuest later, they went home and I tackled the clean-up.

Things will be better next time -- I'm thinking of making this a monthly thing.


( 2 dreams — dream away )
Jul. 10th, 2008 03:34 pm (UTC)
I am so incredibly thrilled about you having your own place. I don't mean to sound stupidly maternal but I'm awfully proud of you.
Jul. 10th, 2008 09:16 pm (UTC)
*beams* Thank you.
I'm pretty proud of myself, now that things are more or less settled.

Are you still coming to Omaha anytime in the future?
( 2 dreams — dream away )